Saturday, December 15, 2012

in the money (ish...)

For the second time in my life I find myself with what to me is a substantial amount of money in the bank. Last time was in 2005 when I eventually got the pay-out from my ex for my share of our flat. That money was what enabled me to come to Aotearoa NZ and be Resident Friend in Wellington. I knew that if I was careful I could make it last the 18 months I was contracted for and a further 6 months on a visitor visa whilst I figured out how to stay here!

This week I got my redundancy payment. Whilst nowhere near as much as the last payout (especially if you think of it in pounds, yes I know the exchange rate is in my favour but still the number looks a lot smaller!) it is still enough for me, with my relatively frugal lifestyle, to live off for about 6 months once added to the modest savings in my account. Thankfully I'm not needing to pay for any round the world tickets out of it just yet which makes life considerably easier.

The temptation to spend is strong, even for me, but my wish list is things like a new battery for my laptop (which now only works when it is plugged in), replacing my 10yr old gortex jacket which even with the best will in the world isn't going to manage to keep me dry for another winter (it has been re-waterproofed several times!) and splashing out on an overlocker which really does fall into the 'want' rather than 'need' category - especially as I have no idea where I'd store one! I know Jess sorting through some of her late grandfather's collections this week ended up with me having an extra empty drawer in my room (woo hoo!) but it would be pushing my 3D packing skills to reorganise my belongings to that extent. Even if I did buy all those things though I'd still have a comfortable amount left in my account.

I know that there will be relieving work in both kindergartens and other ECE centres in town to top up the funds next year which gives me more 'wobble room' but what is stopping me rushing to spend the money (apart from waiting to actually try a jacket on rather than speculate online!) is this continuing sense that change is about to happen - possibly heightened by the associations of the last time I received a lump sum! So until I have more idea what that change might be I'm holding fire.... well almost. I did order a beginners Italian cheese making kit which arrived today, so now I'm trying my hand at ricotta rather than just paneer. I watched Ben & Charlotte make mozzerella when I was there a couple of weeks ago and I decided it was time to get a bit more adventurous. We'll see how it goes!


No comments: