Thursday, March 07, 2013

be careful what you wish for...

... because you might just get it!

So, I was saying I quite fancied some time simply being at home, catching up on the garden, doing various jobs around the house that have been bugging me for a while. And guess what - one fractured hip later here I am, spending the next 6 weeks at least at home caring for Phyllis, getting on top of the garden and reorganising the house due to putting in new carpets and then not putting everything back so she can negotiate the house with a wheely walking frame! Ooops, that wasn't quite how I had it in mind to pan out when I was being wistful some weeks back...

We are embarking on a major clutter clearing exercise, deciding what Phyllis wants in the house rather than living surrounded by things she's inherited from her father-in-law when he came to live with them several decades ago and that somehow have never quite found another home. It has been the perfect opportunity to go through wardrobes (built in and thus all having to be emptied to be carpeted), clear shelves of 'stuff' and not put it back until sorted. It is going to take us a while but it is going to be so worth it.

When the carpet men stuck a load of furniture on the lino they dragged it across and scratched the surface, so I'm getting to try out another of Wendyl's recipes with some homemade lino polish tomorrow (it really is proper lino we've got, not modern vinyl) - here's hoping it works as well as Wendyl reckons, I suspect any failings will be due to lack of elbow grease on my behalf rather than her recipe!

I've been making tomato soup with the tomatoes, red onions, garlic and basil all from the garden, and I've been looking up receipes for quince chutney given the size of the crop we've got this year - our usual recipients have already had what they want and there are loads on the tree still. There are peaches and apples falling fast ready to be stewed and frozen as well - I don't have time to go out to work too!

No comments: