Monday, May 01, 2006

here and now

Something that I keep coming back to time and again these days is the importance of being engaged in the present moment, not living in the past or a dream world of what the future might hold. Sure the past is what makes our present where it is and 'if you don't have a dream how you gonna have a dream come true?' but I've found if I don't deal with the here and now as it happens there's a lot more worrying about it later and not enough dreams coming true.

For someone who has had a tendency to daydream rather a lot living in the present moment is quite a challenge. There is a painting done by a member of this Meeting up in my sitting room which includes the words 'Look not back in anger, nor forward in fear, but around with awareness' - the painting is very simple in it's concept but incredibly striking and I love it, both the actual image and the message. It is a constant reminder and somehow, even after six months, it hasn't just become part of the wallpaper that I no longer notice.

I've spent several days recently somewhat preoccupied with what might be possible come April when I will be free to go where the wind blows me next. But considering how much can change in a few weeks it seems crazy to even try to get my head around a year ahead and spend time focussing on what 'might be'.

Drawing myself back to here and now rather than the future gave me a much greater sense of certainty, of being able to do something about things, of being able to give support now where it is needed albeit it in a different form than what it could possibly be in the future. But if I don't do what I can now, that future could end up looking very different anyway. I need to focus on the things I can do something about now rather than the things I can't do yet.

About two years ago I was given a couple of pieces of advice which have proved their worth - Follow your heart and Would you regret it more if you did or if you didn't? Go where the answer leads you... neither are easy to discern and boil down to the same thing looked at from different places. Following your heart has to mean dealing with 'now' and the regrets business is about not living in the past come the future and always wondering 'what if....' because you didn't follow your heart, that inner voice, the promptings of the spirit or whatever you want to call it.

Ok, deep breath and go for it - I know I'll regret it if I don't!

No comments: