Tuesday, July 04, 2006

finished!

Considering it'll be a couple of weeks at least before there's a photo available on Flickr those of you who haven't seen it already will just have to wait to see what the excitement is about as I'm nowhere near finishing my film... yeah, yeah, I know, but I like my film camera and many of you know what I'm like with getting to grips with new technology. I only found out how to get the number setting in text messaging mode the other day and I've had my phone 2 1/2 years... and that was because someone took pity on me whilst watching me trying to type in a top-up code and told me.

But anyway, I've finished it! The big quilt I've been working on for the last 3 months and I'm dead proud of it. So Orla's now get's bumped back up the pecking order - when did you say the christening was Lucy?!

Apparently the Amish always deliberately put a patch in their quilts the wrong way round to remind themselves that only god is perfect, well god certainly isn't going to feel threatened by my ability to create perfection as I could point out several oops's in every quilt I've made so far and this one is no exception. However it looks fine if you don't study it too carefully =)

So, Orla's quilt - well I've got the material all stacked up, and even a design I've finally decided on (which will probably evolve as I make it - I sew like I cook, I start off with a general idea of what I'm making and see what happens!). It's taken me ages to find something I'm happy with but I think I'm there thanks to the loan of a book from Marisa.

Now here I am, a Brit in Wellington, being lent a quilting book by an American F/friend (also living here) who happens to be a friend of a F/friend (Rosemary, who I know from the Triennial and WGYF) in Arizona where Marisa lived before coming here.....

The book is by Rowan Yarns who are based in Holmfirth - where I grew up and whose mill I remember visiting as a kid with Dad when they weren't long set up....

The design and layout of the quilting book was done by my Dad.

As Alex would say - 'Only in New Zealand...'

1 comment:

Liz in the Mist said...

Yeah for you!!! Can't wait to see the pictures!