Sunday, March 11, 2007

'...instead here we are in a silence more eloquent than any words can ever be'

Today was somewhat unusual for Wellington Meeting. A whole hour without verbal ministry.

I wouldn't quite describe it as silent as there still seem to be a few creaky chairs that have slipped through the net and there was a veritable choir practice of stomach rumbling going on. But there was a depth to the worship today that is often missing.

It feels rather ironic that the Hearts and Minds Prepared session tomorrow is on ministry, altho' exploring it in all forms, not just verbal. Tonight I'm speaking to the SOYFA group (Slightly Older Young Friends Acronym... just don't ask!) about being Resident Friend, the ministry of service.

I'm far better at service as ministry than verbal ministry (which I find giving such talks to be an extension of), which is just as well, but I had hoped for something inspirational out of this morning's worship to give me some more idea of direction for tonight. Law of sod and all that, usually I'd be far happier with an hour of silence! However my heart and mind were on a different path this morning and whilst helpful in some ways not much use for tonight, so I'll just have to hope I can be somewhat more focused on the matter in hand during our YF worship!

No comments: