Monday, September 04, 2006

huff n puff

Now getting id'd is one thing but being given a child's ticket on the MOTAT tram????? Humph. That's up there with being taken for Martin's daughter a few years ago (Morgan, his eldest, turned 5 this weekend!). But I guess that's what I get for being a big kid at heart.

Going round MOTAT was very much like being a kid again in many ways, or at least it reminded me a lot of being one - especially when we went to the Railway restoration workshop and got a guided tour around the engines and carriages being reconditioned. There was a Fairlie Narrow Gauge engine there that had come from Britain which looked just like a Talyllyn engine (and quite possibly had been), no Fairlie double engines at MOTAT though I did spot one through the window of the Settlers museum in Dunedin a couple of years ago! Childhood dreams of spending a summer working on the Ffestiniog Railway came flooding back. I don't know quite what it is about steam engines but there's definitely something... I keep getting funny looks from the other planners when I get excited about the Silver Stream Railway being nextdoor to where the Summer Gathering is being held, they just don't understand...

No comments: